Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 17:58:22 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        jwd@unx.sas.com, nate@mt.sri.com
Cc:        current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install locks on HP Vectra XU

>>    I've attempted to install from both the 2.2.1-RELEASE and
>> 3.0-CURRENT boot floppies. The boot process locks up with the
>> cursor in the lower left corner of the screen just before the
>> 1st screen would appear.
>
>Set the npx0 flags to 0x1, which is the default now on the 2.2 branch.

This problem is known to be a syscons or h/w bug on at least one
IBM portable.  You can also hang the system by writing to the frame
buffer using `fistpq' in user mode.  Fortunately, normal permissions on
/dev/ttyv0 prevent the world from writing to the frame buffer (`mesg y'
gives write permission, but both read and write permission are required
for mmap).

Bruce