Date:      Sun, 07 Dec 1997 18:28:54 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        dk+@ua.net
Cc:        archie@whistle.com (Archie Cobbs), freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: 2.2.5 problems

>> > what's wrong with just running 'startx' to start X AND start some
>> > xterms?
>> > integrates steps 2,3,4 & 5
>
>> Nothing. I already have a workaround; that's not the point.
>> We're trying to identify a bug.
>
>to add to this:
>
>I _always_ had the problem with syscons driver locking up keyboard
>completely while X server is starting and I press alt-ctrl-Fn to switch
>to text screen.  I had this problem on _all_ freebsd machines running
>X that I ever had, back to 2.1 days, up to 2.2-stable with XFree 3.3.
>
>one more test case is this:
>
>run xdm with local X server, or run X server from init (in /etc/ttys);
>{
>    switch to X server screen (e.g., alt-ctrl-F4);
>    kill X server by ctrl-alt-backspace
>    while server is restarting, try to return to text screen by alt-ctrl-F1
>	(here, timing is somehow important; you should press these keys
>	_while_ the new server is starting)
>} or {
>    switch to text screen (alt-ctrl-f1);
>    kill X server process;
>    the server is restarting, switching console for you (that's a bug
>    in X server, IMHO) - just after it switched screens, press alt-ctrl-f1
>}
>screen switching locked - all ctrl-alt-Fn keys beep. still can work in X.

This is a bug in the XFree86 server; the X server does not respond to
the screen switching sequence properly _while_ reseting itself, thus,
the console driver is left with intermediate state, thinking that the
X server is still in the middle of screen switching process.

I filed a bug report on this to XFree86 Inc.

>maybe that's a different bug.

Yes, it appears. The problem reported by archie@whistle.com seems to
be different from the above bug ;-<

Kazu