Date:      Sun, 18 May 1997 14:28:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      ejc@bazzle.com
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ports/3619: omniORB CORBA 2 development port

>Number:         3619
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       new CORBA port omniORB from Olivetti & Oracle Research
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT i386
>Environment:

	-current

Please review and commit this port.

I uploaded it to ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/omniORB.tgz

Thanks,

Eric J. Chet -- ejc@bazzle.com

-----

http://www.orl.co.uk/omniORB/omniORB.html

omniORB2 is an Object Request Broker (ORB) which implements
specification 2.0 of the Common Object Request Broker Architecture (CORBA).
Further information on CORBA can be found at http://www.omg.org

Technical highlights
--------------------

C++ language binding is supported.

The IDL compiler uses the compiler front end from Sun, and
generates C++ language mapping conforming to the latest revision of
the CORBA specification.

The Internet Inter-ORB Protocol (IIOP) is used as the native protocol.

The omniORB2 runtime is fully multithreaded. It uses native
platform thread support encapsulated with a small class library, omnithread,
to abstract away from differences in native thread APIs.

A COS Naming Service, omniNames, is provided.

The following platforms are supported:

        Solaris 2.5/ Sun SparcCompiler C++ version 4.2
        Digital Unix 3.2/ DEC C++ compiler version 5.5
        Linux 2.0 (x86)/ GNU C++ compiler version 2.7.2 / Linuxthreads 0.5
        Windows NT / Windows 95 / Visual C++ version 4.2

It should be straightforward to port omniORB2 to any platform which
supports POSIX style threads, BSD style sockets and has a decent C++
compiler which supports exceptions.

It has been tested for interoperability via IIOP with other ORBs, such as
Iona Orbix 2.1 MT, Iona OrbixWeb 2.0.1, Visigenic Visibroker for C++,
and HP ORB Plus 2.5.

Work in progress
----------------

omniORB2 is not yet a complete implementation of the CORBA core. The
following features are not supported in the current release.
Support for these features will be included shortly in
a future release of omniORB2.

`Typecode' and the type `Any' are not supported.
The Dynamic Invocation Interface (DII) is not supported.
The Dynamic Skeleton Interface (DSI) is not supported.

Missing features

The following features are missing from omniORB2.
We are not currently planning on adding support for these features.

The BOA only supports the persistent server activation policy. Other
dynamic activation and deactivation polices are not supported.
omniORB2 does not has its own Interface Repository.