Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 1997 10:05:40 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        John Messenger <anasazi@cyberport.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE, XF86 and printing questions (was w/o subject)

John Messenger wrote:

> Well I wrote to you guys a couple of days ago, and wonder of wonders you
> actually responded, almost Imediatley.
> and for that I thank you.

First, read (and memorize :-) ) the "How to get the best results out of
freebsd-questions" that Greg Lehey posts here once a month. Try to
adhere to those rules, especially:

1. Have a descriptive and concise subject line.
2. Try to keep your postings short.
3. Don't put unrelated questions in the same posting.

That said,

   [snip]

>         Now however I am trying to figure out these three things in this order.
> First..My cdrom which is an IDE type will not, for the life of me let me
> mount it, even though yes there is a CD in the thing when I boot, it still
> says "device not configured"
> I have tried everything I know, which at this point isn't much up to and
> including, making a new device which shows up in my /dev as wcd0c and
> rwcd0c respectivley.  I have even compiled my own custom kernel rom your
> instructions and did a "make install" and booted from it. I have tried six
> ways from sunday to mount it and all to no avail.  the cd is a Hitachi
> 7730, it was set first on the sound card, a SB16, then as primary slave
> and now as master on secondary.  It has never been picked up even from the
> install program, I had to copy the entire cd to harddrive and install from
> there. I would like to note here that when watching the boot sequence it
> does detect the cdrom and displys the make model and audio capabilities but
> the last line says "wcd0: unkown media unlocked" or some thing very like
> that, and yes I did visit your web page and checked out the FAQs.

Please submit the complete kernel probe output on it (preferably all
that comes after the wdc0: probe). You can get it after you boot by
using dmesg. It might be that the drive isn't supported :-(

>         Second I don't seem to be able to use my printer either. It should be on
> lpt1 but I haven't had a lot of luck with that either.  not as important as
> the first but still important.

Note: lpt1 is the *second* parallel port. lpt0 is the first port...

>         and finally I read in your README on the video cards that the Trident
> TGUI9680 would be supported in the next release, and I am wondering if I
> can simply install the applicable file to my system or will I have to go
> with a total upgrade to get my video card to work?
>
> by the way I am using FreeBSD 2.1.5  with no extra programs, as they are on
> the cd and .........well we been there already.

2.1.6 and higher has a new release of XFree86 with them (release 3.2).
Look in XFree86's site (www.xfree86.org) to see if that supports your
card. If so, upgrade your complete system, or just instal XFree86 (I
think it can be installed to a 2.1.5R system, though I've never tried).

   [snip]

> Thanks Guys
> John Messenger
Nadav