Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 02:09:30 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Lets go for it!

Hi,

"make world" completes with todays files, APIC_IO, SMP_INVLTLB, on dual P6s.
It appears that the post Lite2 SMP kernel is basically sound at this point!

I think we should consider merging the SMP tree into -current.

---
Its time to get serious.  Up to now we've just kinda' been playing around...
We need to formalize some architechural plans for how we want to proceed.
White papers need to be prepared on the major subsections, both documenting
how things currently work, and how we propose to change them.  Areas that
require attention include:

	a new INTerrupt model that is based upon APIC features and symmetric
	I/O handling.

	conversion from the current "giant lock" model to fine grained locking.

	improved and additional IPI functionality.  These include cpu shutdown,
	signal propigation, TLB & PTE invalidation, global cache flush, etc.

	proper handling of timing code.  propagate the 'tick' to all cpus,
	enforce the correct handling of proc time-slices, etc.

	???

---
I'm going to be doing additions to the web pages towards this end.  There
will be a collection of white papers, significant mailings to hit the list,
design documents as they evolve, a "to-do" list, etc.  Any and all
suggestions are welcome.

I've already added a "bugs" page: http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/bugs.html
Please review and report any outstanding bugs that I've missed.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by