Date:      Tue, 04 Mar 1997 05:54:00 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: is -O2 -m486 -pipe safe ?

At 11:26 PM 3/03/97 -0800, Doug White wrote:
>On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, Mike Tancsa wrote:
>

>> I am going to upgrade our 2.1.5 FreeBSD news machine to 2.1.7 by
>> downloading the new src tree and doing a make world with those options....
>> Is it safe to do, or should I stick with with regular -O for
optimzations...

>Why not just run the 'upgrade' procedure from sysinstall?  Or is there a
>directive to use ``make all install'' and not this?
>
>FreeBSD Upgrade Checklist:

Hi,
Thanks for the response... I dont want to use the standard upgrade method
because

a)I have read a few people have had problems with the 2.1.7 upgrade taking
serveral tries before working.  This is a production machine that I cant
have down for an "unknown" length of time with reboots and potentially tape
backup restores

b)Although its a production machine, I would sort of like to use it as a
general test to upgrading our main server. Also, if I can compile with
optimizations, and I can get a bit of a performance boost out of it then
great.   Its a pentium and the -m486 and -HAVE_FPU should in theory help
for some of our apps... There is at least one user who runs some FP
transformations on occasion.

I have tried this method on my home machine, and it 'seemd' to work.
However, its the first time I did a make world, and I couldnt find much
documentation on it... Any idea where I can find more docs on the process ?
Again, the procedure I followed was

1) Slurp down the src from ftp.freebsd.org in FreeBSD-stable/src

2) moved my old /usr/src to /usr/src.old and untared the stable src to
/usr/src

3) did a make world in /usr/src

4) did a make install

5) went to /usr/src/sys/i386/conf and did a config, and recompiled and make
install

6) did a reboot and all "seems" fine... But I am worried I missing anything
here...

I guess also, I would like to move to CSV style updates... Apart from the
man pages, are there any extra docs on it?

Thanks,

	---Mike

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mike@sentex.net)		* To do is to be  -- Nietzsche
Sentex Communications Corp,   		* To be is to do  -- Sartre
Cambridge, Ontario				* Do be do be do  -- Sinatra
(http://www.sentex.net/~mdtancsa)		*