Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 1997 13:07:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Kenneth R. Westerback" <krw@tcn.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.1.7 (src 2.1 291) Xemacs package install non-functional

2.1.7 with delta's through 291 applied.

Installing the package Xemacs-19.14 through either /stand/sysinstall or
pkg_add does not produce a working Xemacs.

Neither method seems to install packages upon which Xemacs is dependent.
With the manual pkg_add I get the messages

  Warning: Can't open dependency file '/var/db/pkg/.../+REQUIRED_BY'!
          Dependency registration is incomplete.

where ... is replaced by jpeg-6a, png-0.89c, xpm-3.4j in turn.

Now I had already separately installed jpeg and xpm as packages from the
CDROM and as a result I have /var/db/pkg/jpeg-6 and /var/db/pkg/xpm-3.4f.

So there seems to be a version problem with the dependent packages?  e.g.
it looks for xpm-3.4j instead of xpm-3.4f and can't find it to install?

Is this a problem with the Xemacs package or the 2.1.7 selection of
package versions to include on the CD?

I see that the correct (expected?) versions of these packages exist under
packages-current on ftp.freebsd.org.  Would these packages work under
2.1.7?  I didn't check packages-2.2, but assuming they exist there as
well would they work better than the -current ones?

 ---- Ken