Date:      Sun, 04 May 1997 09:27:25 -0500
From:      Ted Spradley <tsprad@mail.metronet.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   BootMgr can't find second IDE disk correctly

I got my long-awaited 2.2 Release CD-ROM and installed it on my desk at work.
Since I needed more space, and to avoid any (tiny) risk of leaving the machine
down, I got a second IDE disk and installed onto that, leaving the running
system (the 8/1/96 Snapshot) untouched.  The installation went flawlessly
(great work), but when it was all finished and tried to reboot it was unable
to mount the root file system, and paniced.

This is a generic Pentium 120MHz with two IDE controllers on the motherboard.
On the primary IDE controller are an 800Mbyte disk and a CD-ROM drive.  I
added a second 800Mbyte disk onto the second IDE controller.  The first drive
is half WinNT-3.51  :-(  and half FreeBSD, the second drive is all FreeBSD.

At reset, the boot manager offers:

	F1	DOS
	F2	BSD
	F5	other disk

So I pick F5, and I get another list with only one choice:

	F1	BSD

This boots wd(1,a)/kernel.  It runs along fine until time to mount /, can't
find wd1a and panics.  If I type in "1:wd(2,a)/kernel" it boots the same
kernel and successfully mounts wd2a as /.

The bootmanager calls the second drive wd1 but everything else calls it wd2.
But the bootmanager also recognizes wd2 as the same as wd1.

Is there any way I can get this to reboot unattended?  I know, the best way is
to swap the cables between the two drives.  When I do that, what do I need to
fix besides /etc/fstab ?

Thanks!

Ted Spradley <A HREF="mailto:tsprad@metronet.com">tsprad@metronet.com </A>
+1-972-484-5356
Brisco: "...the more I learn the less I know."
Bowler: "At the rate we're learning things we won't know nothing in no time."