Date:      Sun, 19 Jul 1998 14:35:18 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Phillip Salzman <saten@shell.zebra.net>
To:        "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
Cc:        Mark Diekhans <markd@Grizzly.COM>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD JVM crashes and burns in public...

On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, Jan B. Koum  wrote:

> 	How is this suppose to us feel better?!?! Don't you understand that
> someone who has no clue and will read this article will thing that free
> software is crap? DON'T YOU? I'd rather have someone use Linux then
> Microsoft. Jeez... go read http://editorials.freshmeat.net/jordan980713/
>
> -- Yan

	Just because we are related (FreeBSD+Linux) at the free software
level does not mean we are friends.  This is the real world, you do not
gain market share by having people use someone elses operating system.

	No one ever said Linux was crap, I was just pointing out that we
were not butched and other OS's scored a less-than-wanted review.  It just
happens that other OS was also a free one.

	And, yes, our java support needs a lot of work.  It is not yet the
best, but in time it will be.

	To develop a market share required to be one of the key players,
we must also aquire a competive state of mind.  Not all out bashing of
another operating system, but proving that we are better.  In that
benchmark, we lost.  The java program core dumped, making us lose.  We
did, infact, score better on how fast the program ran; if I remember
correctly.

	Please do not jump all over me for and START TYPING IN CAPS for no
apparent reason except because you did not like me basicly saying that
both OS's failed the benchmark.  FreeBSD and Linux both need major work in
their Java support, this is true for our OS's, I did not say all free
software sucks.  If I did, I would have no reason to continue to do what I
am.

--
Phillip Salzman
eclipse@gulf.net