Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 21:39:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Charles M. Hannum" <mycroft@mit.edu>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>, dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, core@FreeBSD.ORG, cgd@netbsd.org, ross@netbsd.org, core@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Copyright infringement in FreeBSD/alpha

On 10 Jun 1998, Charles M. Hannum wrote:

> "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com> writes:
>
> > >...an error made worse by the fact that, regardless of what the head
> > >revision of the file has, revisions LACKING the notice are still available
> > >via the exported RCS information.
> >
> > And you still have legal recourse to defend your claim to that code
> > regardless of whether the copyright is there or not.  Your legal rights are
> > the same regardless of whether the user pulls the revision out of CVS that
> > lacks your copyright or they delete the copyrights manually.
>
> And you still are distributing a version that violates the license
> (c.f. `must retain the above copyright notice, ...').  And we are
> still informing you that you are doing so, which seems substantially
> more courteous than immediately talking to a lawyer about it.

The first message literally dripped sarcasm, and made the assumption
(which does not seem at all warranted) that it was done on purpose and
with malicious intent.  Don't complain that people are being short with
you, if you begin the conversation as impolitely as that.

If you just want it corrected, a simple request would have done just as
well, and not left everyone with such a negative impression.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).