Date:      Mon, 02 Mar 1998 13:59:50 +0900
From:      Kenjiro Cho <kjc@csl.sony.co.jp>
To:        Christopher <reddawg@shellz.Malicia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATM

>> What hard should i use to run multink atm for dual oc3's Someone recomend
>> me to use a ppro200 with 512k cash and viking ram and an intel motherboard
>> with an atm card from efficient, was i recomend the right stuff or should
>> i use something different and will running SMP work any better for atm
>> then a single proccessor?

When using the supported ATM cards (ENI or Adaptec), the bottleneck is
not processor power but memory access speed.  So, faster CPU or SMP
won't help much.

If your machine will be used as a router, Pentium-II/200 with 440LX or
PPro/200/256K with 440FX will be enough to handle dual 155M ATM.
If you run applications on the machine, get faster CPU.

Regarding ATM cards, Adaptec card is much simpler from the driver's
point of view, but I don't see much difference in performance.

--kj