Date:      Thu, 08 Oct 1998 15:10:45 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        config@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Needed: intelisync-like functionality

There are many applications that I've found for doing an intellegent
syncing.  I see two big classes of syncing that is needed:

	1) Keeping n files on n systems the same, while allowing for
	   changes on any of the n systems.  This is what intellisync
	   does in the Windows world.

	2) To allow merging of an example file with a config file over
	   time (ala the /etc/rc.conf problem).

I maintain that if a simple program could solve both of these
problems, then it would be generally useful for a huge class of
things.

Would it be acceptible to solve the /etc/rc.conf problem by having an
/etc/img (or /var/db/sync-state or whatever) directory that kept state
information about /etc/rc.conf?  This would allow most changes to
rc.conf the user makes to be preseved in a rc.conf updating
proceedure.

Comments?  I can go into more detail if you'd like..

Warner

P.S.  I have need for something like this in many other areas, so I
thought I'd see about writing something that would be useful to this
long standing throny problem.