Date:      Mon, 02 Nov 1998 11:22:11 +0000
From:      Robin Melville <robmel@nadt.org.uk>
To:        James Butt <jbutt@mwci.net>, Tom <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        Berend de Boer <berend@pobox.com>, "'freebsd-database@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Database for FreeBSD 2.2.X: DB2 or Interbase possible?

At 12:42 31/10/98 -0600, James Butt wrote:
>> > not
>> > for
>> >
>> > I'll take a look at it, although I doubt I will use it. Most RDBMS take
>> > quite some time to know them well. As I don't know this product I don't
>> > know which queries work, how well the optimizer is, etc.
>>
>>   You'd be surprised about Solid.  Very quick to get going.  SQL is very
>> conforming.
>>

>Yes.. Solid == Good!!

Yes, it's horses for courses really for native FreeBSD SQL servers.

MySQL is fast & reliable but cut-down (and free). Solid is full featured
and angled towards ODBC access (the C API is effectively ODBC also).
Another (reasonably cheap) commercial alternative is Yard SQL. Also
full-featured it has a very nice C API, an embedded SQL interface and an OK
ODBC. They're at www.yard.de.

I'd like to see gdb/Interbase ported to FreeBSD too as it's a very nice
engine.

Robin.