Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 11:48:11 +0100
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@freebsd.dk
Subject:   Re: Oracle on FreeBSD

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> I currently have Oracle for Linux running on my FreeBSD-current machine (the
> server, that is). Unfortunately I am not able to start any listeners. They
> fail on the IPC protocal adapter. I'll check out the pipe fixes...
>
> I had to fix (was it boken?) the linux emulator. Oracle sends a signal 0
> (null) to it's first child (monitor process). "kill(pid, 0)" returns EINVAL,
> which Oracle does not expect. This problem is addressed in PR 9082.

To follow up on my own post:

Both the server and the listeners are running. It survived the installation
of the Oracle designer repository from a Win95 machine, while a make
buildworld was running :-)

NOOT: The kernel did *not* have the Linux thread commits by Julian Elischer.
That is going to be tested next.

Two issues remain:
1. An Oracle installation script had to be patched. Soren is/was looking at
it.
2. The Linux_lib and Linux_devel ports cannot be used out of the box (I
currently have Redhat packages installed). This should not be too hard to
solve.

The following PRs apply to running Oracle:
9082: see quoted text
9154: unimplemented syscall in linux emulator

If the PRs can be looked at and the patches committed, I'll test Julians code
and post a short HOWTO to the list...

marcel