Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 1998 18:56:38 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        "Alton, Matthew" <Matthew.Alton@anheuser-busch.com>
Cc:        fs@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filesystem hacking

On Fri, 30 Jan 1998, Alton, Matthew wrote:

> I have decided to code up an IBM-style journaling filesystem
> (jfs) with maximum portability for free unices.  While I'm at it

Cool.  Portability might be a challenge though, the vnode interface varies
quite a bit between the various Unices.

> I had might as well have the clean-bits map to a PP/extent
> disk arrangement which will act as a useful abstraction for a
> Logical Volume Manager / Veritas -esque disk management
> system which I also find interesting enough to code up.
>
> This is not an attempt to morph FreeBSD into AIX by any
> means.  It is just an interesting project which I think may be
> of use to hackers.
>
> This month (02/98) I will explore the GNU HURD OS to see if
> their goal of creating an OS which would allow me to imple-
> ment a filesystem in user space has been realized.  If it has
> not, I will use my normal FreeBSD 2.2.2 i386/40 and NetBSD
> 1.3 Sun 3/50 & 3/80 development boxes.

See the link below for a description of stacking, I was one of the people
that was talking about doing ktou/utok layers in FBSD but I haven't gotten
around to it yet.

http://www.isi.edu/~johnh/SOFTWARE/UCLA_STACKING/

Doing a terminal layer in userland would be a pretty good challenge.
While GNU HURD is interesting, for a production environment you should
probably stick with doing most of it in the kernel.

You might also want to look at the CryptoFS, I think it's in the ports
tree, for an example of an FS that piggybacks on NFS.

> Please let me know if I am duplicating effort and provide me
> with relevant pointers.

P.S. it's good to see a FreeBSDer from AB.  Any chance of converting
Scott Smallie?  ;-)

--
michaelh@cet.co.jp                                http://www.cet.co.jp
CET Inc., Daiichi Kasuya BLDG 8F, 2-5-12 Higashi Shinbashi, Minato-ku,