Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 1998 13:57:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        Nicolas.Souchu@prism.uvsq.fr (Nicolas Souchu)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, mbouget@club-internet.fr
Subject:   Re: I2C bus

> We're about to write Philips semiconductor support for the I2C bus.

I put my latest code up on incoming where the incoming elves will
move it someplace else and I guess tell us.  Look for "i2c.tgz"
dated June 14.

This code will be the basis for a FreeBSD driver for boards/systems
based on the Philips controller chip that I'll be putting together
real soon, well, as soon as that problem bubbles to the top of my
priority list, hopefully this month.

If someone is interested in working toward a bit-banging (i.e.,
line printer port etc) implementation then they should look at the
i2cslave code in that tar ball and consider what it would take to
make a non-blocking state driven master similar to the non-blocking
state driven slave that it now implements.

I'm not going to have a lot of time to work on this, so I'll be
changing this for my needs.  Specifically, I plan on changing the
current i2c.c Philips code to a reentrant interrupt driven driver
with the slave address encoded in the device minor number.  I'll
keep in the back of my mind the idea that someone may want to splice
in the bit banging code, so I'll modify the current compile time
selection to be member-function table driven.

This is not the greatest code since it has always been developed
specifically to meet my needs.  However, it is wrung out, has run
in several environments over the last 5 or 6 years, and is solid
from the point of view of timing.

Enjoy -

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Safety critical systems, Agency approval