Date:      Sun, 09 Aug 1998 15:02:27 +0800
From:      Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        dg@root.com, jobaldwi@vt.edu, grog@lemis.com
Subject:   Re: AMD-specific kernel code (was: How long a wait?)

> >The effect on CPU performance is also noticable:  here are "make
> >world" times:
> >
> >Without write allocate:
> >
> >real    106m58.441s
> >user    63m0.960s
> >sys     20m25.035s
> >
> >With write allocate:
> >
> >real    114m16.402s
> >user    69m41.733s
> >sys     17m54.862s

It looks like something that should be a tunable knob of some sort. I tend to
have processes that compute for a considerable period of time, which may
benefit, but Joe Average's make world clearly won't. Try it as a option in the
config file, or yet another flag to the npx device, or (best possible) a
sysctl flag, so that one may turn it off & on as required while the system is
up.

	Stephen
--
  The views expressed above are not those of PGS Tensor.

    "We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce
     the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know
     this is not true."            Robert Wilensky, University of California