Date:      Thu, 01 Jan 1998 12:50:31 -0500
From:      Ken Key <key@cs.utk.edu>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Ken Key <key@cs.utk.edu>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More on APM suspened/calltodo patch.

> The "right" thing to do here appears to me to wait until I can actually
> get a working -current kernel for my laptop, verify that the new
> technique actually works (what tests did you do?), and then push your
> older version back into 2.2.

OK, sounds good to me.  To test if the APM suspend/timeout code was working,
I just ran the following test program and suspended the machine, waited a
few minutes, resumed, and then watched to see if the select() timeout fired
immediately or waited the amount of time.

=================================>8 cut here 8<===========================

/*
 * timer_test.c testing interaction between timer operation on select and APM.
 */
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/time.h>
#include <unistd.h>

int
main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    int cc;
    struct timeval timeout;
    time_t   timenow;
    char *str_p;

    /* Test timeout of 45 seconds */
    timeout.tv_sec = 45;
    timeout.tv_usec = 0;

    do {
	timenow = time(NULL);
	str_p = ctime(&timenow);
	str_p[strlen(str_p)-1] = ' ';
	printf("Time entering select: %s (timeout=%d)\n",
	        str_p, timeout.tv_sec);

	cc = select(0, NULL, NULL, NULL, &timeout);

	timenow = time(NULL);
	str_p = ctime(&timenow);
	str_p[strlen(str_p)-1] = ' ';
	printf("Time exiting select:  %s (cc= %d)\n\n",
	       str_p, cc);

    } while(1);
}

--