Date:      Sun, 24 May 1998 07:34:34 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        ckempf@enigami.com (Cory Kempf)
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound is working... sort of

> Hi all,
>
> I have a DK440LX, with built in Crystal Audio sound card.
> I now have the system (-current) recognizing the card, and
> I can play sound files.
>
> So, naturally, I ventured into attempting to get recording to
> work.
>
> Natually, it didn't :-) (if it did, I probably wouldn't be writing!)
>
> When I attempt to do a simple record (e.g. cat /dev/audio > file),
> I get static.  Unfortunately, once I have done that, I can no longer

static is better than nothing, it means that at least the dma is
correctly configured and connected.

i suggest the following experiment:

	cat /dev/dspW > /dev/dspW

in a window, and play with "mixer" in another one to see/set the levels
and recording sources.

> use the port.  The console says: "write denied, another writer is in"

this usually happens when there is another process using the device and
did not properly terminate (possibly because it is not getting an
interrupt to terminate, and this is possibly due to misconfigured dma,
but in this case you would get no static...). check with "ps" or "top"
what's going on.

> FWIW, I have a Labtec boom mic plugged into my mic port.
>
> Any hints?

see above, in addition to the usual stupid things that one could do
(plug in the wrong port, no power on the mic if it has one,
non-working mic because of broken cable...)

	cheers
	luigi