Date:      Sun, 30 Aug 1998 17:26:23 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to PnP without booting -c?

Hi,

First of all, thanks for the reply, Luigi!  :)

Sorry for that many questions, but I'm a bit helpless in this
situation.

Luigi Rizzo wrote in list.freebsd-multimedia:
 > > I need to use a PnP soundcard in a diskless box which is
 > > booted by an EPROM on the network card.  With this setup,
 >
 > the easiest way seems to patch the kernel sources so that it
 > always assumes that userconfig must be entered.

Yes, I thought about that, too.  But I only want the userconfig
_once_, to enter the pnp data.  After that, the box should boot
straight through when powered on (unattended).  Note that it
will not have a graphics card nor a keyboard then.

 > Another one could be to build a kernel with userconfig_boot option
 > and use /kernel.config (but i am not sure if at that point of the boot
 > process in a diskless machien things can work..., i suspect not)

I did a bit of RTFS, and it seems that /kernel.config is only
read by biosboot, not by netboot.  :-(
(Anyone _please_ correct me if I'm wrong.)

Is /kernel.config documented anywhere (except the source)?

 > Third one (but it requires altering the EPROM code) is to add yet
 > another option to bootp to indicate that userconfig should be entered

That would be a nice solution indeed.  I don't have an EPROM
burner myself, though, I might be able to find someone to do
that for me...

By the way -- Where is the userconfig data stored?  It seems
like the dset utility reads it from "somewhere" (kvm?) and
stores it directly into the kernel file.  Is this correct?

Shouldn't it be possible to take the userconfig data (in
particular, the PnP configuration data) and put it into a
different kernel file?  I experimented with dset and "sysctl
-w kern.bootfile=/kernel.new" and things like that, but it
didn't work.

If everything else fails, I will have to temporarily put the
system on a hard disk, boot from that with -c and do the pnp
configuration, then copy the configured kernel back to the
NFS server...  Not very convenient to do this each time i need
to compile a new kernel.  :-(

(I cannot compile the kernel for that machine on a different
box, because I don't have another box with the same soundcard.)

Regards
   Oliver

PS:  IMHO, there _should_ be a way to hardcode the PnP config
in the kernel config file, as it's done for standard ISA
devices, too.

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany