Date:      Sun, 6 Dec 1998 03:22:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dave Hummel <dave@dnh.pce.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Big Problem: MAKEDEV & how to mount root_device rw

I made a huge mistake while upgrading to 2.2.8. I had a very old (circa
2.2.5) MAKEDEV script in /dev. sh MAKEDEV created disk entries that are
just plain wrong. Right now root_device is mounted -ro on /. 'mount -u /'
gives me 'Specified device does not match mounted device'. I want to try
to get the proper MAKEDEV and redo 'sh MAKEDEV', but I obviously can't
write to /dev.
My questions are:
How can I get root_device to mount -rw?
or better yet:
If I'm going about this the wrong way, what is the right way?