Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 1999 17:22:22 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OK, any pointers on how to use SRM? :-)

Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au> wrote:
>
> > How the hell do you use srm? :-)
>
> http://ftp.digital.com/pub/Digital/info/semiconductor/literature/srmcons.pdf

Thanks, I think this is what Doug mailed to me.

However, I have another problem that I could do with some advice on.
Basically at the moment I'm short of an ATX power supply and case (damn
weekends).  So, itching to get going, I took my workstation apart and
mounted the AlphaPC 164SX motherboard.  However, the power supply promptly
expired. (!)

Apon investigation, with the old motherboard back in, the +3.3V power lines
from the power supply was supplying 1.9V instead and the hardware monitoring
was having a fit and making ambulance siren sounds from the speaker. (!!).

After checking the 164SX motherboard again, I find the +3V-to-gnd
resistance is very close to 0.0 ohms, sometimes it sits at 0.2 ohms for a
few seconds after first attaching the DMM leads.

Taking out the CPU brings the +3.3V-to-gnd resistance to over 1K ohms, which
is in line with the other supply pins on the motherboard.

Now, is this normal?  Did the power supply just expire when getting a heavy
3.3V load at startup?  Or is it more likely that the CPU has expired and
killed the power supply?  (The ratings look OK, the 164SX manual says it's
supposed to only draw 5 amps from the 3.3V line, while the power supply was
rated at 14 amps).  This motherboard was running a few days ago (at Usenix)
and the cpu has not been removed from it's socket for the duration.  There
is no sign of over-current or heat damage under the PCB or on the CPU pins.

Needless to say, I'm not keen to experiment just yet to find out, I've
borrowed the power supply from my wife's computer, if I kill that too I will
be in big trouble. :-)

(PS: Doug and Drew: the DIP switches were set for neither 400 or 533 clocking
 at Usenix)

Cheers,
-Peter