Date:      Sun, 05 Sep 1999 20:21:02 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Michael Kennett <mike@laurasia.com.au>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Changes to binutils (--target=alpha-freebsd)

In message <199909040942.RAA26591@laurasia.com.au> Michael Kennett writes:
: It is the file mkstemp.o.  I've added it to the Makefile  /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/
: cc/cc_drv/Makefile (in the line SRCS).

I've never needed to do this.  I think that you must have an old
system...  We went through this several months ago.

I only intend to support cross compiling on a system that is installed
from a -current system that matches what you are cross compiling.
That is if you haven't done a make world before trying to make a cross
world, then all bets are off.

: Hidden in the bowels of the FreeBSD source tree (/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/
: libbfd/alpha) is the file 'bfd.h', which configures the characteristics of the
: host architecture. In this file is the line
:
: #define BFD_HOST_64BIT_LONG	1
:
: i.e. It is saying that a (native) alpha compiler has 64-bit registers. By
: changing this line to
:
: #define BFD_HOST_64BIT_LONG	0
:
: the cross-compilation from the x86 architecture passes binutils without any
: warnings.

This needs to be fixed so that the right things happens.  I suspect
that this is due to mixing the HOST and the TARGET variables in the
same file...

Warner