Date:      Sun, 5 Sep 1999 00:14:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu (John-Mark Gurney), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PNP ids missing in sio.c

> <<On Sat, 04 Sep 1999 21:34:09 -0700, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> said:
>
> > The enumerator should assign these resources to a placeholder; I was
> > thinking the nexus was as good an owner as any.  If there's an
> > "unknown" device that's probably even better.
>
> Some of them should be claimed by real devices -- for example, the
> pseudo-i8237 ISA DMA controller should be claimed by the ISA bus
> (which I don't think it does now, unless someone added the code to do
> it while I wasn't looking).  Similarly the PIC, the PIT, the RTC, and
> other random bits of ``Industry Standard'' hardware.  It might even be
> worth having these be their own unique devices, just to help diagnosis
> if they ever go away...

Yes please please please.  Those of us doing strange stuff with strange
machines would be eternally greatful if there were device nodes for
PIC's, PIT's, RTC's and ``other random bits''.  Note that though the ISA
standard only has 1 of each of these in them, some really crazy hardware
guys like me know all to well how to add anyone of them to an existing
design.  I have had x86 boxen with 4 PIC's in them and had to hand glue
the interrupt code togeather to deal with it.  I don't really care if
the interrupt code is ever tought about this stuff, but at least
having the device code know about these devices and report there existence
goes a long way to dealing with these strange systems.

Multi PIT's are extreamly useful, and I think there have already been
some hooks added by either bde or phk to deal with a real hardware
stat clock, having a real PIT driver would make a $10.00 add in PIT
card possible for FreeBSD.

Also note that some of these devices are already special cased and
actually have multiple devices inside of them, infact the PIC and
DMA are really 2 physical devices in the original design, just the
cascade line is common.

rtc0 at 0x040 on isa
rtc1 at 0x048 on isa
pic0 at 0x020 on isa