Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 09:35:53 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Andrew Boothman <andrew@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Documentation index latest

On Sun, Oct 17, 1999 at 01:15:38AM +0100, Andrew Boothman wrote:

> On 16-Oct-99 Mark Ovens wrote:
> > Good job Andrew!
>
> Thanks!
>
> > One thing I noticed is that ``@allfiles = readdir 'portsdir';'' in
> > docindex.pl seems to list the sub-dirs in creation order, not
> > alphabetical which would be better.
>
> Good point, I'll look into this.
>
> > I've knocked together the following wrapper script to build +DOCS
> > files for all the ports/packages installed on the system it's
> > running on. I've run it on mine and now I've got and index of all
> > the docs installed by ports/packages :)
>
> Excellent! How much tweaking did you find the DOCS files needed
> after they were created? I noticed that samba installs _lots_ of
> text files that the script thinks are documentation.

Potentially a lot :( An awful lot of stuff was just labelled "Title
Unknown" including, ironically, all the stuff used by textproc/docproj,
except for jade. This is understandable for TXT files, but none of
the HTML ones have titles.

I've put the generated index file at
ftp://ukug.uk.freebsd.org/pub/mark/index.html.gz if you're interested.

> Ultimately, I think the best person to tweak the DOCS file would be
> the maintainer of the port. You need to have access to the port's
> docs to make sure that the script has indexed them properly. And you
> need good knowledge of the port to know when some docs should be
> left out.

True, but I suspect that perhaps the docs team will have to do some
of them as there are a (large?) number of ports which appear to
have no updating for a long time so are potentially no longer
maintained.

> Once we're sure about what we need them to do, this really needs to
> go to -docs, at least for commenting on if not actioning it.
>
> Your wrapper is still useful though, because it'll allow us to give
> the -ports crowd the largest possible head start, by letting us
> create a large number of DOCS file to begin with.
>
> I'm gonna fiddle with the docsmaker script a little more then, if
> no-one else has any other comments, I'll take it to -docs.

One thing, docindex.pl has the old /usr/share/doc/{handbook,FAQ}
paths. I had to change it to the new
/usr/share/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/{handbook,faq} location in
the first ``if'' statement.

--
STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.