Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 1999 12:05:14 +0100
From:      Rodney <rr@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   feature list journalled fs

hi,

here's my list of features I'd like to see in a
journalled fs. Have to admit this list is heavily
inspired ( ok , copied ) from the VxFS features,
apart from th buzz words,
some of them make sense, some of them don't
but it should give us some stuff to discus:

1) extent based allocation
   coding this should be easy, it's just a address-lenght pair
   identifying the starting block address and the length of the
   extent. I've seen this coded up in qnxfs under linux.
   I think the vsta filesystem does something similar.
2) fast filesystem recovery , obviously
3) acls would be nice , afs style ?
4) online defrag and resizing (while user are online)
5) online backup/snapshot
6) vinum integration (vague)
7) built features that make databases very happy
   like msql/mysql/oracle. (vague)

also b?trees for indexing sounds cool, thought the xfs
implementation seems quite heavy(they maintain 2 of them)
, ie over-kill ?
The way b+trees are use in the Be fs (bfs) might be more
appropriate.

Comments ?

rodney

--
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas.
 I'm frightened of old ones." --John Cage