Date:      Mon, 7 Jun 1999 09:29:02 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   are CNAMES good enough?

Most of you should know about the great mirror database run by Gavin Cameron at
http://www.itworks.com.au/~gavin/FBSDsites.php3

Well, I'm just making some changes to nz.freebsd.org and I'm doing some testing of the changes.  But
I'm getting strange stuff.  It appears that if I use CNAMEs, nslookup doesn't see the names.  Any
ideas?

ash-2.02$ nslookup
Default Server:  localhost.antisocial.net
Address:  127.0.0.1

> set q=any
> nz.freebsd.org
Server:  localhost.antisocial.net
Address:  127.0.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
nz.freebsd.org  nameserver = ns.freebsddiary.cx

nz.freebsd.org  nameserver = ns.freebsddiary.cx
ns.freebsddiary.cx      internet address = 210.55.152.36
> server ns.freebsddiary.cx
Default Server:  ns.freebsddiary.cx
Address:  210.55.152.36

> ls nz.freebsd.org
[ns.freebsddiary.cx]
$ORIGIN nz.freebsd.org.
@                       1H IN A         210.55.152.36
fred                    1H IN A         210.55.152.36
ns                      1H IN A         210.55.152.36

Yet if I type in:

> ftp2.nz.freebsd.org
Server:  ns.freebsddiary.cx
Address:  210.55.152.36

ftp2.nz.freebsd.org     canonical name = ns.freebsddiary.cx
nz.freebsd.org  nameserver = ns.freebsddiary.cx
nz.freebsd.org  nameserver = ns.ghis.net
ns.freebsddiary.cx      internet address = 210.55.152.36
ns.ghis.net     internet address = 209.222.164.7

Yet I have defined CNAMES for ftp, www, and others.  I added fred in as a test.

If I understand correctly, this is the mechanism which Cameron uses to traverse the DNS trees.  I'd
rather use CNAMES but if I can't, I can't.
--
Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited
The FreeBSD Diary     - http://www.FreeBSDDiary.org/freebsd/