Date:      Sun, 4 Jul 1999 09:37:24 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>
To:        bb@taex001.tamu.edu
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: {bb} BB, sendmail and rbl

On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, root wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, Leif Neland wrote:
>
> > I run Big Brother on a FreeBSD box, which is connected to the world on a
> > dial-on-demand isdn.
> > A few days ago, I enabled FEATURE(rbl)dnl, Realtime Blackhole list in my
> > sendmail.mc
> >
> > Now everytime bb connects to sendmail,
> > the dial-on-demand kicks in!
> >
> RBL is expensive in DNS transactions.   Every mail address gets matched
> against a illegal Reverse zone scheme.  If you can stand it, you could
> set up your named to be a downstream zone for the RBL master.  It helps
> (A Lot)!!!
>
> Steve Foster
> BBS-la.com
>
> sysop@bbs-la.com

I added logging to my named, and discovered that sendmail did a rbl-lookup
on 127.0.0.1 (or the host connecting to it) at the initial connect.
i.e. before any HELO or other chat.

So I made my named authoritative for 0.0.127.maps.rbl.vix.com and
0.168.192.maps.rbl.vix.com.

This stopped the dial-on-demand's on every bb-test

Leif