Date:      Sun, 7 Nov 1999 22:36:21 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        java-port@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   JDK1.2 status

I vowed to get something out this weekend, but unfortunately I failed.

Due to a number of little things that took alot more time than expected,
plus the final stumbling block I was unable to create a beta FreeBSD
build for FreeBSD.

I'll skip the minor details, but the major detail is related to the fact
that in order to build a 'publically redistributable' binary, I have to
link in Motif statically in the java binary (Java uses Motif).  However,
if I link it in statically, it fails to work.

I don't know why this is, and my feeble attempts to work around it are
for naught.  At this point, I need to go review the Linux diffs, and see
what they've done.  It's possible that they aren't worrying about the
legal repercussions, or they have a better solution than I'm aware of.

In any case, I apologize for not getting something to the facts that are
waiting for a native FreeBSD port.  However, as I understand it, there
appears to be a port for the Linux version which works in emulation
mode, although I haven't any experience with it.

Nate