Date:      Sat, 23 Jan 1999 13:01:53 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <rsm@acm.org>
To:        Jason George <jbg@masterplan.org>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xircom PCMCIA driver

On Fri, Jan 22, 1999 at 04:47:36PM -0700, Jason George wrote:

> I was checking around to see if Xircom or Intel PCMCIA network adapters
> were supported under FreeBSD, and was disappointed to see that they
> weren't.
>
> I did some research on Linux's support of these cards, and I found a
> driver:
[...]
> Now, the driver is GPL'ed, but...
[...]
> Anyone interested in working/collaborating on a port?  :-)

I've been working on one for a couple of months now -- the first version
will hopefully be released to testers on Monday.  It works pretty well, on
my machine at least, given the sketchy information that Werner Koch was
able to get out of Xircom.

I was most surprised to see the BSD licensing terms show up on Werner's
driver, somewhere between v1.28 and 1.30.  Makes me feel a lot happier
about 'adapting' his work and not having to worry so much about not
actually copying any code.

I wouldn't go out and buy a Xircom card on the strength of this, however.
For one thing, their attitude to supporting open-source driver development
annoys me, plus there are other cards (including some 10/100 ones, I
believe) that are far better supported.  Get one of those instead.  Of
course, if you have one already I'll add you to my list of testers.

Cheers,

	Scott