Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 06:56:10 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        O.Hodson@cs.ucl.ac.uk (Orion Hodson)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: good or bad idea ? (vat-related...)

> > Ok the thing is the following: i was shown that realvideo streams can
> > contain "annotations" that during playback send a

Thanks for the comments -- i share most of them and knew beforehand
the perplexities about this hack.
I can only say that this is not a FreeBSD only/netscape only thing
being very easy to customize for different browsers and port to other
architectures (i guess there at UCL there were similar problems when
developing vat or the relate interface for vic etc -- the point is try
to add in features, and if they are successful people will hopefully
use them).
I am not 100% sure that passing URL's in RTCP fields is
totally out of scope (will check).

The main motivation for including this feature in vat (or some other
tool) is that is is extremely unconvnient to run rtprecord/rtpdump for
multiple sessions especially when one carries so little data.

As for the web implications, that is in fact kind of an orthogonal
problem which is better dealt with by a proper caching organization. We
had the same problem when people would try to access teletext pages on
the web during elections (at some pointwe had an internal server for
them, but then the news spread out and we decided to continue doing
that to see what kind of loads we would get in such events).

Finally, vat&vic seem to be totally unprotected against attacks (or
even errors) but yes, that is a problem. For what it matters, the code
i put in is exactly the same that produces the name string to be put in
the "session members list, so i do think that there is a check on the
IP of the source, yes.

	thanks again
	luigi