Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 11:07:55 +0930 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Atapi CD audio ripper quality?

This message is in MIME format
--_=XFMail.1.3.1.p0.FreeBSD:990920110755:17161=_

On 17-Sep-99 Oliver Fromme wrote:
>  That's not exactly correct.  "Red Book" CDs (audio CDs) have
>  two layers of error detection _and_ correction information.
>  These are should be handled by the CD-ROM drive and not be
>  visible to the software running o the computer.  (CD-ROM has
>  an additional third layer of error correction, at least for
>  mode1 tracks -- that's why a CD-ROM has a lower effective
>  capacity than an audio CD.)

True, what I meant to say was that no checksum information is passed from the
CDROM to the computer like, as you say, for a mode 1 track.

>  On the other hand, most IDE CD-ROM drives require so-called
>  "jitter correction", which your grab software must support.
>  using different options might affect the way the data comes
>  out in that case.

Well I think its not so much an IDE thing but a cheap ass CDROM thing (which
all IDE drives are :) There is no header passed to the computer so it can't
tell which block the CDROM is at (not even the CD can AFAIK.. it only knows the
block number by counting - I don't know that for sure but its what I've heard)

>  My recommendation is, of course, to buy a decent SCSI drive
>  and use a grab utility such as cdd or tosha.  :)

Get a SCSI CDR then you get an excellent drive for ripping, AND you can write
CD's :)

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum

--_=XFMail.1.3.1.p0.FreeBSD:990920110755:17161=_

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.3ia

iQCVAwUBN+WP81bYW/HEoF9pAQF8eQQApXTyy6cGP2Bd8UTvOT3CnolyPexqf2+C
ByB0iCiYU7r2kyBXpNLnVYnSIx07CKTYRbF4+TzUmViOs4imMVphbxb+K+Z4eVaK
XjXpwtfhgnOjuWMgdPJWbz4RW+RZMOI7G184HR4r6VEdAxfprh0eQR82ThW44GrU
x36wILxLB5E=
=zR8n
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--_=XFMail.1.3.1.p0.FreeBSD:990920110755:17161=_--
End of MIME message