Date:      Sun, 10 Jan 1999 14:42:25 GMT
From:      steven@shellnet.co.uk (Steven Fletcher)
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   IPFW, Dummynet under 2.2.8-RELEASE.

Hi all.

I hope I'm posting to the correct list here, I thought I'd make
certain before possibly making my first post to freebsd-bugs.

I've been using Dummynet for the last 3 weeks or so on a machine at
the new local cybercafe which we set up, limiting 17 stations to
64Kb/s and one to 128Kb/s. It's been working - to a point.

Usually around 3-4PM each day, when the box starts being used more, it
crashes, dead. Sometimes it manages to reboot itself, others it
cannot. It's also crashed once when I stopped the Apache httpd, and
once when stopping Squid (2.1 RELEASE). Sadly, I'm not anywhere near
it when it goes down, so I can't see any panic messages, nor are they
logged to the /var/log/messages file - only a "Warning: / was not
properly dismounted" is the only way I know when it crashed.

At first, I thought this was a problem with the machine, and as we
were just about to order a replacement box, I've tested it out on a
P2-233 here at work. It's a moderatley heavily hit HTTP server, and
after 5 mintues of dummynet limiting to 256Kbit/s, it crashed.

Both machines were installed as follows:

1) Main install over FTP install system
2) Apache (& Squid for the cybercafe) installed.
3) Recompile the kernel and comment out unneeded drivers, etc. I've
put the config file up at
http://www3.shellnet.co.uk/shellnet/SHELLNET-1.1 if anyone would like
to look at it.
4) Reboot, and add IPFW/dummynet rules, for example:

ipfw pipe 131 config bw 64Kbit/s delay 30
ipfw add 131 pipe 131 ip from 193.133.229.131 to any
ipfw add 131 pipe 131 ip from any to 193.133.229.131

And about a day later, a crash :(.

Running kernel.GENERIC without the IPFW rules, we had an uninterupted
uptime of 7 days before we tried the old kernel again, which crashed
the next day. I've tried recompiling squid/apache, anything for the
new kernel, but nothing seems to work.

Is this a known problem, and is there a patch available?

Thanks for reading my drivel all :)

Steven Fletcher - steven@shellnet.co.uk
       Shellnet - http://www.shellnet.com