Date:      Sun, 8 Aug 1999 12:00:21 -0700
From:      Eric Lee Green <elgreen@iname.com>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on receiver lockups

On Sat, 07 Aug 1999, Doug wrote:
> Eric Lee Green wrote:
>
> > Well, I cvsup'ed "stable" (just the kernel)
>
> 	I'm glad it worked for you this time, but I can't let this pass without a
> warning. It's a very bad idea to upgrade your source then build just the
> kernel. You should always make world first to avoid possible
> incompatabilities between the kernel and your userland programs.

Hmm, is the kernel in "stable" going to change enough for this to be a big
deal? I know that if you don't do "make world" in "current" you're likely to
bomb big-time,  but I thought "stable" was, well, stable, and the changes in
the kernel would be like the changes from 2.0.36 to 2.0.37 Linux kernel, i.e.
updates, some minor functionality fixes, but no big changes to existing
functionality.

I didn't do a "make world" because I didn't cvsup the world, I just cvsup'ed
the kernel, due to lack of time, lack of bandwidth, and overcrowded cvsup
servers.  I will set a cvsup going this AM out of my crontab, I guess, and go
ahead and update the rest of my "stable"...

--
Eric Lee Green    http://members.tripod.com/e_l_green
  mail: e_l_green@hotmail.com