Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 1999 10:05:23 +0100
From:      Beck David <dbeck@freesoft.hu>
To:        "'freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Strange things on my computer / Help

Beck David <dbeck@freesoft.hu> writes:
> > > - but the kernel complains in every 10 minutes for some _out_ going
> > >   ICMP packets, which goes to two hosts.
> > What kind of ICMP packets?
> - The ICMP type is 3.3: port unreachable

Oh - that's totally benign. Some box is trying to connect to an
unbound port on your box; if it's a local box, it's probably a
simple configuration error.

:: Yep, actually I ipfw out all the udp traffic except dns.
:: Am I correct if I think that if it is denied by ipfw it shouldn't
generate
:: an ICMP reply ?

:: Another strange thing I found, that uptime which I run periodically
:: from cron, suddenly started bitching , because it didn't find /dev//root
(??).

:: After I made world :) , it stopped complaining.

:: Another thing: the make buildworld failed a couple of times because of an
unresolved
:: external: realhostname at fingerd and ftpd.
:: Then I started to figure out, what happened. But before I really did
something it
:: suddenly become OK. May be it has no meaning, I become paranoid a bit ...