Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 1999 09:40:21 +0200
From:      Markus Minihold <Markus.Minihold@telecom.at>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FYI: ATAPI CDROM dedection problem

I asked on the list some days ago for help on ATAPI CDROM's because
these devices are not recognized during installation. I've now finished
my installation tests and will present you what combination is dedected
and working.

My test equipment are 4 PCs, P75, P200, PII-233, PII-450, all assembled
with IDE HD and ATAPI CDROM. All PCs have different motherboards and
different BIOS versions and functionality.
Testet FreeBSD Distributions V 2.2.8, V3.1 and V3.2

HD                         CDROM                    STATUS

IDE1, Master        IDE1, Slave               working
IDE1, Slave           IDE1, Master            working
IDE2, Master        IDE2, Slave               working
IDE2, Slave           IDE2, Master            working

IDE1, Master        IDE2, Master             failed
IDE1, Master        IDE2, Slave                failed
IDE1, Slave           IDE2, Master             failed
IDE1, Slave           IDE2, Slave                failed
IDE2, Master        IDE1, Master             failed
IDE2, Master        IDE1, Slave                failed
IDE2, Slave           IDE1, Master             failed
IDE2, Slave           IDE1, Slave                failed

Installing a second HD on the IDE controller, where the CDROM has been
attached (in the 'failed' cases), has helped. The CDROM has been
dedected.

Conclusion: An ATAPI CDROM will only be dedected, if you install a HD on
the the same IDE controller. I think, this should be treated as a _bug_
in the dedection routine of the kernel's ide part .

As a comparison, I've tried to install Linux. Linux dedected the ATAPI
CDROM in _any_ combination.

Markus