Date:      20 Mar 2000 23:14:12 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 21st Century Unix

Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org> writes:
> God help us, ZDnet is fairly well respected by technical managers in
> the US.  And they're pretty pro-M$.  The page that says "FreeBSD is
> the web server, hands down, no questions asked," should be bookmarked
> and loaded into the US advocate's cannon.

It doesn't say that. Well, it does say that in the body, but then it
goes on to say (in the summary at the end of the article) something
like "FreeBSD is the best OS for smallish web servers, but what you
really want is Linux". All in all, the author seems to have had a pro-
Linux agenda, and not much meat to back his claims. Executive summary
of the piece: "We installed some Unixen on some boxen and ran them for
a while. They were better than Windows. SCO only crashed once a month.
BSD was nice for small web servers. We think Linux is the best,
because we'll sell more copies if we say it is, but we didn't do any
proper comparative tests so we don't have any actual facts to show."

What's even more interesting (and disappointing) is that the summary
contradicts the body; they list Yahoo and Hotmail as examples of
FreeBSD being the best web server OS (ISTR words to the effect that
"FreeBSD + Solaris is the killer combo"), while the summary lists
Linux as favorite for "advanced web service" and relegate FreeBSD to
"simple web service".

(quotes are from memory, I don't have a browser available right now)

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no