Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2000 10:58:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Craig Burgess <craig-burgess@home.net>
Subject:   Re: Of mice, XFree86, & Netscape

Craig Burgess writes:
 > Since cvsup'ing from 4.1 to 4.1.1 (rebuilt world & kernel), I've been
 > getting these:
 >
 >   xl1: transmission error: 90
 >   xl1: tx underrun, increasing tx start threshold to 120 bytes
 >   xl1: transmission error: 90
 >   xl1: tx underrun, increasing tx start threshold to 180 bytes
 >
 > Is this anything I need to be worried about and/or can correct?

It sounds like the tulip messages one sees on every OS on alphas, I
wouldn't worry about it unless your performance is somehow degraded.

 >   pci0: <3D Labs model 0009 graphics accelerator> at 6.0 irq 0

 > Observations: there is no VGA16 server (upon which XF86Setup depends)
 > for XFree86. I've looked at several of the US FTP sites and of those
 > I've found, all are 45byte files - apparently empty.

You need to use the non-gui setup routine - xf86config.

I'd suggest building XF84 4.0.1 from ports, its a bit more reliable
(for me anyway) than the 3.x servers.

 > If the mouse is defined and enabled in /etc/rc.conf ('psm0' as
 > sysinstall can do for you). xf86config (XFree86 3.3.6) trips over a
 > "busy" mouse, and exits back to the command line.
 >
 > Not all Logitech PS/2-type mice (mouses?) are equal. Although the
 > system saw a 2-button mouse (P/N: 95426-0000) , XFree86 didn't.
 > Switching to a Logitech 3-button mouse (MouseMan P/N: 811158-00)
 > solved that mouse problem.

ENOCLUE.

 > I changed su's shell to tcsh [chsh -s /usr/local/bin/tcsh] which
 > successfully changed the shell however, upon USER exiting X-windows on
 > the console, su generates this
 >
 >   Warning: no access to tty (Inappropriate ioctl for device).
 >   Thus no job control in this shell.

Odd.  See if XF86 4 does any better.

 > su is allowed but it appears to revert to the default shell. (I really
 > like tabbed filename completion.)

Install sudo and become root on a per-command basis.

 > Finally, has anyone gotten Netscape for Tru64 to browse properly? I
 > got it installed and it launches but complains that it "cannot find"
 > urls by domain name. It displays my local webserver by IP number
 > (192.168.10.1). The same domains it can't find I can ping without any
 > problem so I'm almost confident that the nameserver entry in
 > resolv.conf is good.

I assume you installed it from ports and thus have a
/compat/osf1/etc/svc.conf?

Does your /etc/resolve.conf have a blank search directive?  Eg:
	search
	nameserver w.x.y.z

If so, try deleting the search line in /etc/resolv.conf or give it a
domain name list to search.  Be very carful of excess whitespace.  I
don't think the OSF/1 resolver library is a featureful as ours.

Cheers,

Drew