Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2000 01:57:21 -0600
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        Damien Tougas <damien@tougas.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GUIs are flawed

At 16:35 29-01-2000 -0700, Damien Tougas wrote:
>Why can't someone create a GUI framework that works more like a command
>line? -- Small programs/applets that are easy to maintain on their own,
>but which can be plugged together by the user at will to accomlish
>the task at hand.

Hi, Damian,

I started this message by saying that the framework was there (talking of
Windows) becaue a Windows program can use both a CLI and a GUI. It is
certainly possible to use the Unix style command line concatenation under
Windows.

Then I deleted what I started writing because I realized a Windows program
has no easy way of knowing whether it is run from a CLI or the GUI. So, you
are right...

At any rate, it is still possible to do it, even under Windows. The trick
is to put the bulk of the processing into a DLL, then write two programs,
one to use with GUI and one with CLI. Of course, that requires extra work.

Yeah, Windows sucks, long live FreeBSD!

Adam