Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2000 02:43:54 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        "FreeBSd Chat list" <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Future of NFS?

On my search for ipx/netware support on FreeBSD I bumped onto
the smbfs(SMB filesystem) client at freebsd.org/~bp. Basically a
way for a FreeBSD machine to access a CIFS (previously know as
SMB) volume.

This got me thinking about how this would affect NFS long term.

In particular I am interested in performance. At work I did some
mini-benchmarks comparing netware, NFS on sun with a NFS client
on NT and a FreeBSD box running samba.

In order of fastest to lowest I got Netware, NFS, Samba. I am a
newbie on Samba so I don't know what settings I need to change
yet.. I know FOR SURE that I must have something wrong. I don't
recall exact details, but I tested both writing to and reading
from all these servers.. the samba test was 12 seconds one way
and 3 minutes the other way. Obviously I must have something
very wrong..

The tests on the readme of the smbfs client imply that a
samba/smbfs combo is faster than a win95 server, but that is
almost to be expected. What would be interesting is to see how
this client compares to NFS and an NT server, specially with
Samba properly configured.

francisco
Moderator of the Corporate BSD list
http://www.egroups.com/group/BSD_Corporate