Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 19:06:16 +0400
From:      "Artem Koutchine" <matrix@ipform.ru>
To:        "xuyifeng" <xuyifeng@stocke.com>, "Dan Nelson" <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Where is Berkley DB libdb?

So, lets get to it onces again.

Given:
    db file created with 2.7.0 os Linux Slackware
    FreeBSD 4.1.1-stable with 1.85 included in libc (damn it, get it out of
there!)
    perl 5.005_03 on FreeBSD host
    DB_File which comes with perl

Need to accomplish:
    read that db file on FreeBSD host

Problems:
    cannot read that db file on FreeBSD host

Solution:
    install db 2.7.7 from ports
    install DB_File 1.73 from CPAN (supposed to support db up to 3.x)
    try to build DB_File linked agains the 2.7.7 version of DB:
    1) perl Makefile.PL complains:
        Note (probably harmless): No library found for -ldb
    2) try a little hack and make a link from db2 to db
        still 'Note (probably harmless): No library found for -ldb'
    3) hell with it, open generate Makefile, add -ldb2 to LDFLAGS
        make
        make test
        make install
        try to open the - no luck , which means db lib is still taken from
libc

    I do not understand how to make DB_File use db 2.7.7 instead of 1.85
built in in
    libc.

Result:
    somebody needs to do something about it