Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 19:16:17 -0500
From:      "Doug Poland" <doug@polands.org>
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-database@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD v Linux

Thank you for a more authoritative opinion.  I did,
after all, qualify my remarks with

> This is pure speculation on my part, but, here goes...

I do hope we get native ports of Oracle, Informix,
Sybase.  I say this because I don't believe you
will actually get support from the vendors if
you're running BSD (I'm speculating again).  If they
don't support it, then the consulting world won't
recommend and build systems on BSD.

To use myself as an example, I'm a database programmer,
not a Unix admin.  I use FreeBSD because I like it and
it gives me an opportunity to run an OS and applications
that would otherwise cost thousands of $$$ to buy from
proprietary vendors.  Then these vendors have hardware
requirements beyond my means to acquire.

So I wanted to set up a modest Apache, PHP, Sybase server.
I'm the first to admit that I'm no expert in BSD, and I
would never have been able to get those three working
by myself.  In the end, even with the generous help from
others, I was unable to get PHP to communicate with Sybase.
Now if I was able to buy a BSD version of Sybase, I could
have used their libraries instead of FreeTDS and I would
at least have someone at Sybase that could help me.

I've followed others efforts to get Oracle/Sybase/Informix
running on FreeBSD.  I'm curious to know if anyone actually
is running these servers in a production role.  I know
two Oracle consulting firms and they always recommend
Unix and almost always recommend Linux.  There's no way
they're going to put a paying client on an unsupported
platform.  The risk is to high and there is no benefit.
To the client and the consulting firm, it's just a box
that runs Oracle.  BSD will never be that box if Oracle
won't support it.

Regards,
Doug