Date:      Tue, 09 May 2000 09:38:27 -0400
From:      "Charles N. Owens" <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   vmware BRIDGE support, concurrent guests

> On Sun, Dec 12, 1999 at 07:25:51PM -0500, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
>
>> - Are you planning on implementing the bridged networking feature?
>> I'm just using NATD now in combination with host-only networking &
all
>> I care about is working fine.  But I was just curious.
>
> I really don't know what is the sense of bridging networking, may
> only to use some brain damaged protocols such as NetBEUI. If someone
> really needed the bridge networking, probable much more easy to enable

> BRIDGE support in kernel, and added support for bridge in the vmnet
> driver.

First let me say a big "Thanks!" to Vladimir for doing the vmware port!
Very cool!

[ Vladimir, the second paragraph above it yours, btw. ]

I agree that doing this via kernel BRIDGE support is the way to go.  Are
we any closer to having this supported in vmnet.ko?

I actually think support for bridged networking makes a good deal of
sense.  Once the host is set up for bridging it makes the network
configuation of guest OSes much simpler.  I use Vmware to test various
operating systems... instead of having multiple dedicated test computers
lying around.  My preference is for the guest OS to interact with the
outside LAN exactly as it would on a "normal" computer.  We may also
begin using vmware on numerous desktops... it such an environment I feel
that bridged networking is much more manageable.

Secondly... is the "only one guest at a time" limit expected to go away
anytime soon?

Thanks much,

  Charles N. Owens                               Email: owensc@enc.edu
                                            http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx