Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2000 00:27:48 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VMware detection code in boot loader

Mike Smith wrote:

> > VMware intercepts the inb/outb instruction to port 0x5658 when the eax
> > register is set to a magic value, otherwise it would be handled as any
> > other ports.
>
> I think, again, that adding an i386-specific word that detects the
> presence of VMware is a perfectly sensible idea, and it should simply be
> done.

Given the way VMware works, I'd have nothing against making it a FICL
words, except...

...VMware is a port. For some reason, I dislike the idea of having
support targetted at exclusively one specific port. Though we have
features added specifically to deal with certain ports, they were all
more generic features.

So, I see two alternatives here:

1) Add the Forth words that allow execution of assembler code (CODE
;CODE), and hex-compile the code (as having a whole assembler around is
unreasonable). This enables similar problems to be solved without having
to change loader(8).

2) Add the VMware detecting to FICL, as originally suggested.

While I have reservations about the latter, I'm not objecting to it. If
you, Luoqi, prefer to go that way, go ahead.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

		"He is my minion, so he doesn't need a name."