Date:      Sun, 15 Oct 2000 16:31:11 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wine update

On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 10:43:33PM +0200, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Szilveszter Adam wrote:
> > Oh. I am sad to hear that. (20001002 did not work for me either, it
> > could not load its kernel after starting up. But as I mentioned it has
> > since disappeared, maybe because it was a too problematic snapshot
>
> Strange. On my 4.1-RELEASE box I just downloaded 20001002 (with `make`)
> and it compiles and runs fine after some updates to the port.

OK, I downloaded it again, just to be sure.

> > Hmmm. It is good that the problem got resolved, but I take both 4.1 and
> > -CURRENT use the same gcc version... (2.95.2) Or am I missing something?
>
> AFAIK, -CURRENT uses a snapshot of GCC 2.96 which may have some bugs.

It reports itself as 2.95.2.

> >> ...and will send this to you, so that you can double check it.
> > Yes, certainly!
>
> I built, installed and deinstalled, and ran Notepad, Calc, Solitaire and
> Forte Agent on FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE with my current patch set for 20001002
> so I went ahead and submitted it as PR ports/21961. ;-)

OK, I saw it and they have already been committed, but I was too busy yesterday
migrating my whole system to a new (big) disk so I could only test now.

> If you can give these patches a try on -CURRENT, I'd certainly appreciate
> that!

I tested the 20001002 snapshot both with and without your proposed patch-ge.
(the other patches were applied in either case)

Results:

Without:

The old "cannot load module kernel32.dll" error on startup. Wine unusable.
(Maybe related to the GCC problem you discovered. The GCC on -CURRENT *is*
affected by your PR on this topic according my test.)

With:

It starts up but dies with an X error BadMatch (invalid parameter
attributes). (I am using XFree86-3.3.6)

For reference, Wine-20000909 still works...

I am sorry to tell you this. Maybe I will have the time to do some more
debugging, but right now I must say that the 20001002 snapshot does not work on
-CURRENT. Of course, it is more important to have a working implementation
on -STABLE, so it was a good idea to update the port. Until then I will
stick with 20000909...

I hope to be able to get back to you on this soon.

--
Regards:
Szilveszter ADAM