Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 2000 14:12:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Erez Zadok <ezk@cs.columbia.edu>
To:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@flamingo.McKusick.COM>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, fs@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Subject:   Re: changing mount options still can cause damage?

In message <200003041934.LAA16343@flamingo.McKusick.COM>, Kirk McKusick writes:
[...]
> just as it would for a file open for writing). This seems
> a slightly odd semantic for a file open for reading, so I
> have not done it. Does anyone have any views on whether the
> filesystem should be changed in this way on forcible
> downgrades?
>
> 	Kirk

Traditionally Unix file systems had all kind of odd semantics, but were
considered reliable and stable.  So *if* I had to choose b/t adding some odd
semantics and keeping the f/s clean, I'd go for cleanliness.

If, however, there is no clear winning option, then the next best thing
would be to do one of the following:

(1) add a new mount flag that can select among the choices.  This option
    could be added to the mount(2) when it's doing a remount.  We can select
    some default behavior for the flag, and let users turn it off if they
    want.

(2) print some console message from there kernel upon remount, warning of
    any known open+unlinked files.

BTW, can one remount read-only a f/s that's already remounted read-only?
One (true hack) might be to keep the current remount semantics the same,
but change them upon a second read-only remount.

Erez.