Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 21:16:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nick Popoff <nick@accelica.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange MSDOS fs behavior

This took me a while to figure out, so I figured I might as well report it
in case it made sense to anyone else.  I'm running FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE on a
Sony Vaio Laptop.

What I'm seeing is that a Win98 partition I've mounted is garbling MP3
files I'm storing there when they are played.  The file is unchanged, but
when I play the file it always cuts off with about 1 minute left to
play.

If I copy that file out of the Win98 partition to my Unix home directory,
it plays fine.  If I FTP it to my Windows box it plays fine.  However, if
I mount that Win98 partition with Samba on that Windows box, an play it on
the Windows box, it screws up.  The only conclusion I can draw is that the
FreeBSD fs driver for the msdos partition is corrupting data as it reads
it for applications... and in a predictable way for each file, since the
song will cut off at the same place every time I play it.

I'm mounting that msdos partition by a script in rc.d that says:
  mount_msdos -u nick -g nick -m 755 -l /dev/ad0s1 /usr/msdos

And then I am accessing the files by a symbolic link like so:
  /home/nick/mp3 -> /usr/msdos/mp3

Hopefully the message will turn up in search results if someone else runs
into this very wierd problem!  Please e-mail me directly if I can provide
any more info, as I am not subscribed to this list.  Thanks.