Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 18:05:29 +0300
From:      "Artem Koutchine" <matrix@ipform.ru>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   CD detection from a c program

Hello!

I need to write the following program (it might be a daemon
as well):

1) Sit and wait for a CD to be inserted
2) If CD is an AUDIO cd then DO THING1 (play cd)
3) if a CD is a DATA cd then DO THING2 (scan for mp3s, run mp3 player)
4) is a CD is an OTHER cd type the DO THING3 (play video?, nuts..)
5) If CD is ejected then do THING4

I have no problems with the THINGS :) But i do have
trouble with
1) Detecting the moment when a cd is inserted. Is there some
kind of event? Or must I poll the drive every second?
2) Detecting the type of CD. I have no clue how to do it.
3)  Detecting the moment when the user press the eject button

But that is not all of it. For the item (3) i have to MOUNT the CD in order
to read the files, but if i mount it, it will be locked, so the EJECT button
will not be usable. So, there are two ways to avoid it:
1) Have an event when EJECT button pressed on the drive
2) Do not lock the drive when disk mounted (is it possible?)

In case if you wonder why i need all of it  I am building a home multimedia
system. It is pentium mmx based, w/o monitor, all output goes to the LCD
display on the from pannel (20x4), a little keyboard is attach on the from
pannel
(custom made but fully PS/2 compatible), also, IR control is available via
IRDA
port. No fans, very quite, one HDD which is powered down automatically after
the
boot and whenever not needed. One LM7001 bases ISA FM card.
The hardware is ready and tested by now. Now I have to do the software. I
think
this will be the first time such thing is done using FreeBSD.

Regards,
Artem