Date:      29 Oct 2000 11:22:58 -0500
From:      chromexa@ovis.net
To:        Olexander Kunytsa <kunia@wolf.istc.kiev.ua>, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>, i18n@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   re: Re: Need dotfiles for various L10N groups

> ** Original Subject: Re: Need dotfiles for various L10N groups
> ** Original Sender: Olexander Kunytsa <kunia@wolf.istc.kiev.ua>
> ** Original Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 19:29:01 -0400

> ** Original Message follows...

> On Sun, 29 Oct 2000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> > > I am trying to collect various dotfiles (.cshrc, .profile, .Xresources,
> > > .Xdefaults, ~/.*) for various language localization groups.
> > > As I discussed with Nik Clayton, I hope to create
> > > /usr/share/skel/{chinese, japanese, french, russian, korean, vietnamese *}
> >
> > Shouldn't these be /usr/share/skel/{ja_JP.eucJP, zh_TW.Big5, ...} to cater
> > for the same language/multiple encodings problem?
> >
> 	It would be better to use in such way, I think. I myself can make
> /usr/share/skel/uk_UA.KOI8-U/* for Ukrainian lang

My suspicion is that all those configuration files,  Use dot as the leading character and that
POSIXdidn't change this? Thisis from old memory so someone doublechecking would help.
As far as your proposal goes. it doesn.sound that bad as long as it is consistant and someone
supports it (well lots of people). I automatically knowthat when I see .xxx in *nix it is a config
file. The problem never seems to be with standards but getting people to agree with them,
and they provide a wide consistency. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks and Have fun, Seteve

Have Fun,
Sends Steve

Download the Lycos Browser at http://lycos.neoplanet.com