Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 03:59:27 +0900
From:      Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        nate@yogotech.com
Cc:        iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org, wietse@porcupine.org, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thanks!

> > > As I wrote in earlier email, the bug goes away when I remove the
> > > modem and ethernet card.  However, doing so was not necessary with
> > > FreeBSD 2.2.8.
> > > Can anyone explain why FreeBSD must wake up prematurely when cards
> > > are present, even without cables attached?
> >
> > It seems the features of some ThinkPad machines.  I've heard that NIC
> > and Modem pccards cause problems on some TP.
>
> Nope.  It's a FreeBSD bug in newer releases, since it works fine in
> older releases (2.2.8), as Wietse already pointed out.

Really?  I don't have TP here, but I found this at
http://home.jp.FreeBSD.ORG/cgi-bin/showmail/bsd-nomads/10522
but it's from TP manual in Japanese.  I translate them in English for you.
IBM support pages also say almost same thing such as
http://www-1.ibm.com/servlet/support/manager?rt=0&rs=0&org=psg&doc=E2AB5DFBFCE082E685256512005C419B

----
Notes on power management features when PC cards are used
  Some of the PC cards might case problems on ThinkPad by combination
of AC/DC and power management modes.  PC card support software prevent
this by doing special process when power state change.
[snip]

Type of PC card   Suspend request(Fn+F4)         Hibernation(Fn+F12)
                  AC             DC         AC        DC
Modem, NIC        OK (*)         OK         NG        OK
Others            OK             OK         OK        OK

*: However the machine enters in standby, not suspend.
----

I wonder if older releases have a special hack for this...
Do you remember it?

> > We had cli asm (disable interrupts) before calling APM BIOS call in
> > FreeBSD 2.2.8, but this also seems to cause other problems and cli was
> > deleted.
>
> Actually, with the cli, it didn't work on my box (same hardware as
> Weitse), so it was removed by me (and the call is probably gone on his
> box as well I suspect, since it works fine. :)

Yes, I know.  This seems originally came from CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS in linux.

Thanks